The Bellingham-Whatcom Public Facilities District (BWPFD) was created in 2002 as a joint effort of the City of Bellingham and Whatcom County. The BWPFD's mission is to fund a Regional Center and Cultural District located in downtown Bellingham that will increase economic prosperity and lay a foundation for further public and private investment in our community. The initial component of the Regional Center, Phase I renovations to the Mount Baker Theatre, is complete. In addition, the Regional Center includes, but is not limited to:
- Construction of all or a portion of the streetscapes;
- Design and renovation of existing space for Museum purposes;
- Design and construction of new Museum facilities;
- Acquisition of additional property for other components of the Regional Center;
- Construction of Phases II and/or III of the Mount Baker Theatre;
- Design and construction of one or more performing arts facilities; and
- Related parking facilities.